Sunday night is one of my favourite nights of the week. I look forward to it most when we can have a leisurely dinner followed by my 9 year old daughter’s favourite family activity – family movie night. This works best when dinner is organized and we can arrive home after a day out to dinner ready.
I made this yummy pasta a few Sundays ago. It’s a riff on Pat’s Tuesday Night Pasta Sauce from Whitewater Cooks with Friends. I substituted the penne for linguine, green peppers for yellow peppers and eliminated the cream. And, I altered the cooking method for my crock-pot! Get this going on Sunday morning and get ready to enjoy a leisurely family dinner with plenty of time for a movie. Sound good Sophie?!
1 2lb package of linguine
¼ cup olive oil
3 to 4 hot Italian sausages (uncooked and removed from casing)
3 to 4 mild Italian sausages (uncooked and removed from casing)
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 medium onions, diced
1 red pepper, diced into ½ inch squares
1 yellow pepper, diced into ½ inch squares
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
3 bay leaves
1 796 ml can of tomatoes, pureed
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup red wine
1 cup parmesan, grated
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Remove sausages from casings (or if possible buy sausage meat as this will cut down on your prep time) add to frying pan and break apart with back of wooden spoon.
- Add basil and sauté sausages until cooked about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop, onions, peppers and mushrooms.
- Put each in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes until cooked.
- Remove sausages from frying pan and add to crock pot along with veggies from microwave.
- Add bay leaves, pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock and wine.
- Cover and cook on medium for 4 hours.